Sunday, September 20, 2009

Silent Poetry

One of the most important considerations for us was to find really beautiful, inspiring artwork to surround the children. Maria Montessori wrote:
"The house of the child should be lovely and pleasant in all its particulars. It is possible to say that there is a mathematical relationship between the beauty of his surroundings and the activity of the child; he will make discoveries more voluntarily in a gracious setting than in an ugly one."



Maria Montessori specifically recommended that the Casa dei Bambini, or Children's Houses, be adorned with Raphael's Madonna's, as an homage to maternity. Following this line of thought, many American Montessori schools are adorned with Mary Cassatt paintings. Both artists have undeniably beautiful work and I appreciate the reasoning; however, I have always been quite smitten with Harold Feinstein's beautiful photographs. His ability to capture intricate and ecstatic beauty in the most familiar of subjects seems almost child-like in the pleasure and facsination it affords to subject matter which has become mundane for most adults. I imagine that viewing his photography is much like looking at the world through the eyes of a child. I absolutely love them and I believe that the children will as well!



So, you can imagine my pleasure when the UPS driver greeted me with this beautiful package-





My mother-in-law, BJ Mackinnon, is a very talented photographer. Enclosed were five different colored mattings and twenty different photographs taken in their vineyard and gardens. Each matting corresponded to four complementary photographs so that the artwork can be switched out during the school year. Aren't they lovely?






1 comment:

  1. Aren't you sweet to tell about the photos. I was so excited to have them blown up and pick the most colorful ones for the school. So much fun for me, and so glad it brings you pleasure...
    I know the lives of all those little ones will be enhanced by your conscientious and thoughtful planning, they will come!

    ReplyDelete